What are CR3 files?
CR3 is the replacement of CR2 format, it is a RAW image created by Canon mirrorless cameras. It provides high quality lossless image quality with a smaller size than RAW.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the CR3 format?
The CR3 format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Supports lossless RAW compression
- Your files are 30/40% smaller
- It preserves the exact resolution of the original RAW files.
- May not be compatible with your computer, so you need an editing program that supports it.
- Can be saved as a lossy C-RAW version but you will find that the quality will be lower.
CR3 Format FAQs
Is CR3 a raw file?
The CR3 format is a RAW image file extension used by Canon cameras.
How do I open a CR3 file?
You can open it using Microsoft Windows Photos. But if your purpose is editing, you can open the file in Adobe Lightroom. It is also compatible with Canon Digital Photo Professional.