Convertr.org is the best ORF converter you can find on the internet! Fast & Secure, we pride ourselves in our ability to offer the best conversion speed with almost any file size and format.
Or drop files here.
What are ORF files?
ORF file is a raw image format used in Olympus digital cameras. Like all other raw formats, it contains image information rendered directly by the camera's sensor.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the ORF format?
The ORF format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- ORF files have so-called headers that present the characteristics of the image, such as saturation, color temperature, contrast, etc. The headers also contain metadata, which includes the technical characteristics of the camera.
- Because ORF images are output without undergoing any processing, they exhibit near-real color and shadow characteristics, and are more open to extensive editing than JPEG or TIFF images.
- The format allows users to achieve maximum precision by setting their own white balance and saturation values.
- Allows camera sensor data to be saved without transformation or distortion
- ORF file cannot be edited in a graphic editor without importing it to another format.
- Limited number of programs for viewing.
- Problems with format switching and saving (files are too heavy).
ORF Format FAQs
How do I open an ORF file?
You can open ORF files with Olympus specific software, such as Olympus Master, or with third party applications. Some image editors that support ORF files are Adobe Photoshop, Corel AfterShot Pro and Adobe Photoshop Express (Android and iOS). If you are a Mac user, you can also view ORF images with Apple Preview and Apple Photos, which come bundled with macOS.
Although most Olympus digital cameras capture images as ORF files, many of them produce ORF files in a different format. Therefore, some applications may recognize certain ORF files but not others.
How do I convert ORF files?
You can convert ORF files to other image formats, such as JPEG and PNG with various image editors, such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro.