Convertr.org is the best PEF converter you can find on the internet! Fast & Secure, we pride ourselves in our ability to offer the best speed conversion speed with almost any file size and format.
Or drop files here.
What are PEF files?
PEF stands for Pentax Electronic File. The PEF is an unedited or uncompressed photo taken with a Pentax camera, this file has a binary format. A file that has an extension.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the PEF format?
The PEF format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Stores the image information exactly as it was captured by the camera sensor, without compression or color adjustment.
- Allows later changes, adjustments, enhancements. You can give the photo more exposure (light), change the white balance, make it warmer or cooler, change the saturation, etcetera.
- Memory card space. The PEF format being a RAW format, being "raw" and uncompressed, takes up much more space on the memory card than other formats, for example, where 400 JPG photos can fit, maybe only 110 PEF photos can fit.
- Depending on the Pentax camera model, the files may store the image in different ways. Therefore, not all PEF files can be safely opened with the same program.
- This RAW image format is obsolete, as Pentax changed it from PEF to DNG.
PEF Format FAQs.
How to open PEF files?
You will need a program compatible with the specific file you are trying to open, as different programs may use files with PEF extension for different purposes.
Which programs open the PEF file?
You can open and edit PEF files with various image editing programs, including the software included with the purchase of Pentax digital cameras. You can also open PEF files with Microsoft Photos (included with Windows) and Apple Preview (included with macOS).
Some third-party image editors that support PEF files include Adobe Photoshop (Windows and macOS), ACD Systems ACDSee (Windows), and Corel