What are RM files?
An RM file is a multimedia file stored in the RealMedia container format developed by RealNetworks. RM files are commonly used for streaming content over the Internet, such as video and Internet radio.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the RM format?
The RM format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Store data in a compressed format to reduce file size and make it easier to download and playback multimedia content from the Internet to users' computers.
- Files with the .RM extension can be opened and played on all popular platforms - Windows, Linux and Mac through various media players that support the .RM format or by using additional plug-ins for Internet browsers.
- It is possible to convert your .RM files to other common media formats, such as .MP4, .WMV or .AVI for proper playback
- Can be opened and edited in VideoStudio Pro.
- The resulting quality of .RM files is usually much lower compared to newer media formats.
RM Format FAQs
How do I open an RM file?
Users usually play RM media files with RealPlayer software, but they can also open them with other audio programs, such as Eltima Elmedia Player or GRETECH GOM Player. VideoLAN's VLC media player can also be used to play RM files, but this software offers only partial support for the format.