What are WMV files?
It is a Windows Media Video file that was introduced by Microsoft as a compressed video container. Some programs use it for things like short animations or uploading content online.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the WMV format?
The WMV format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- They take up very little space, they can be used on websites without increasing the loading speed.
- Generally, they have good quality.
- It is compatible with VideoStudio Pro, Windows 8, Windows 9 and Windows 10, as well as free platforms such as VLC.
- You can sell your content online or via HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs.
- It has an additional feature called "Digital Rights Management'' that prevents copying the content of the format.
- It is difficult to find players for Apple or Linux that are capable of opening it.
- It has not become a standard format despite its small size.
- Sometimes video streaming can be delayed.
WMV Format FAQs
Can WMV files be uploaded to YouTube?
YouTube supports videos in most popular formats, but currently WMV may not be compatible with the platform, as there may be problems recognizing the audio and video encoding of the WMV file.
Which is better: WMV or MP4?
While both files may be popular. MP4 is more compatible on media players or if you want to share content on platforms such as YouTube it is ideal. Although WMV may also be compatible with the platform, it is recommended to use the former.
Are WMV files safe?
Video files are not automatic executable programs but data files, a virus may be inside the code but it will only be harmless and will most likely corrupt the file and make it unplayable.
Why are WMV files so big?
WMV files are usually not large and consume less space, it may be larger than an MP4 file because it contains larger audio and video files.