What are XPS files?
It is a file based on XML paper specifications produced by Microsoft. It is used in the layout, appearance and information of a document and can store from one to several pages.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the XPS format?
The XPS format is a multimedia standard in the current world of digital content. And it shows the following advantages and disadvantages:
- It allows you to keep the original content and formatting of any document you save.
- It offers a good image quality thanks to the color management of XML paper.
- It can be read, compressed, shared and even printed from a browser, as long as we have compatible resources.
- The XPS format is the competition of PDF although the latter is more common within users.
- Mobile devices and Mac computers do not include an XPS viewer.
- It is not possible to open XPS files in Windows 10 natively.
XPS Format FAQs
What is the difference between a PDF and XPS file?
The difference between PDF and XPS is that PDF is ideal for editing, viewing and compressing documents, whereas, XPS is a document management software used to convert and view documents, although XPS supports annotations this option can only be used on written text, web links and handwritten documents.
Can you open XPS in Excel?
No, it can only be opened by XPS Viewer or supported browsers.
What is an XPS viewer and do I need it?
It is a way to save, access and work with XPS documents without printing them. It allows you to enter the document anywhere and you can work with them as if they were printed.